The Vancouver Island Crisis Society
Providing 24-Hour Crisis Line Support and Resources for Vancouver Island and BC
Also available: Crisis Chat Online Emotional Support
Crisis Chat for all ages is offered from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week.
Please click on the icon above during designated chat session times to reach someone.
Vancouver Island Crisis Chat provides online emotional support, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention services. Our crisis workers are here to listen and to support you through whatever difficult times you may be facing.
If you require support immediately, please call the Vancouver Island Crisis Line at 1-888-494-3888, which is available 24/7. If you are dealing with an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.
Please also see our Chat Resources and Etiquette guidelines.
Crisis Society News
- The Vancouver Island Crisis Society is pleased to announce its workshop in honour of World Suicide Prevention Day (September 10). Entitled Suicide Prevention: Creating New Conversations, it will be presented in eight Vancouver Island communities from September 10 to 30, 2014. Be sure to register soon as our workshop series fill up quickly!
- As a member of the Crisis Line Association of BC, we are pleased to share the news release: World Suicide Prevention Day 2014: “One World Connected.”
- The Vancouver Crisis Society’s Annual Report for 2013-2014 was presented at our Annual General Meeting of September 9, 2014.
- The Summer 2014 issue of In Connection, the Vancouver Island Crisis Society’s e-newsletter, was published on June 13. Its theme: Volunteer: Give the Gift of Time. In addition to detailing the benefits of volunteering on the Crisis Line, the newsletter presents descriptions of recent and upcoming workshop presentations, the mental health crisis within the RCMP, and narratives by suicide attempt survivors.
- They’re back and they’re in demand! The Central Vancouver Island Community Resource Directory‘s 2014-2015 edition is now available. The number of resources has increased but the price of this resource book has not!
Check out our TV commercial!
Shaw customers on Vancouver Island are able to see our public service announcement on many Shaw television stations.
Like us on Facebook!
Like either or both of our two Facebook pages and find out about what’s new at the Vancouver Island Crisis Society and upcoming Community Education workshops for the general public and for middle and high school students.
Vancouver Island Crisis Society
Vancouver Island Crisis Society – Youth
CALL FOR HELP. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
If you are in crisis, please call the Crisis Line.
Emails sent from this website are
directed to administrative personnel
(not crisis line workers)
and are reviewed only during business hours.
Crisis lines are available 24 hours per day,
seven days a week.
Vancouver Island Crisis Line:
for people in emotional crisis,
including suicide and mental health issues
310Mental Health Support:
Helping People Find their Way
The Vancouver Island Crisis Society is contracted by the Vancouver Island Health Authority to provide the Vancouver Island Crisis Line service to the entire island, the islands of the Georgia Strait, and the mainland communities between Powell River and Rivers Inlet.
We are a registered non-profit agency whose services include 24-hour crisis lines (providing crisis intervention, information, and referrals); crisis chat services; regional support of Suicide Bereavement Support Group meetings; Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training workshops, training in schools with youth and teachers; and various workshops and customized training addressing suicide prevention, crisis intervention, and communication skills for individuals and agencies throughout our communities.
We also work in partnership with Island Health to provide public access to Mental Health and Substance Use services in the communities administered by Island Health.
Crisis is a point of opportunity as well as danger.
Successful crisis intervention involves
helping people take advantage of the opportunity
and avoid the danger inherent in crisis.
Lee Ann Hoff
People in Crisis
Upcoming Training Sessions
Proud to be the recipient of United Way Central & Northern Vancouver Island funding for youth suicide prevention programs.