Crisis Line Responder Service and Commitment
The Vancouver Island Crisis Line is a key program of the Crisis Society. The crisis line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We receive approximately 40,000 interactions per year. Our lines are staffed with both volunteer and paid Crisis Line Responders who are trained and supported by professional staff.
Crisis Services operate on a daily schedule of basic shifts:
- 8:00 am to 12:00 noon
- 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
- 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
- 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm (only volunteering shift available for Option B volunteers)
- 8:00 pm to 12:00 midnight
- 12:00 midnight to 8:00 am
Option A volunteers commit to working a minimum of three four-hour shifts and one eight-hour overnight shift per month (20 hours). Available once again in 2024.
Option B volunteers commit to working a minimum of five four-hour shifts per month (20 hours). Available once again in 2024.
Option C volunteers commit to working a minimum of three four-hour shifts and one eight-hour overnight shift per month (20 hours).
Volunteers aligned with any of the three options commit to a minimum of 200 hours of service (excludes training hours).
Shifts are scheduled at the volunteers' convenience.
Every individual is required to undergo a screening process by the Crisis Society prior to formal acceptance into our volunteer training programs. This process comprises:
- Completing a volunteer application form
- Passing a Criminal Record Check, which must include a Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS). RCMP policy states that a Vulnerable Sector Search must be conducted by the local police agency in the jurisdiction where an applicant resides. Therefore, no online Criminal Record Check is acceptable.
- Being interviewed by a Crisis Society trainer
- Crisis Society verifying references provided in application form
Registrants are next required to pay a non-refundable training fee of $100.00 before training begins. We offer the following payment options:
- e-Transfer via email at etransfer[at]vicrisis.ca
- PayPal shopping cart
- MasterCard, VISA, or AMEX by phone by calling 1-877-753-2495 (250-753-2495 in Greater Nanaimo). Our office is open from Monday to Thursday, from 9 to 12 and 1 to 4 Pacific
- Cheque made out to Vancouver Island Crisis Society, mailed to PO Box 1118, Nanaimo, BC V9R 6E7
- Cash, usually provided directly to a Crisis Society Trainer
The fee also includes an inaugural one-year membership with the Vancouver Island Crisis Society.