CIST - Workshop Description
Crisis Intervention Skills Training is a strengths-based, trauma-informed, two-day program, based on the most current research in defusing and deescalating crisis. Designed to assist a wide variety of community helpers such as front line staff, street outreach workers, police, teachers, receptionists, customer service representatives, managers, supervisors, union representatives, service providers and more, Crisis Intervention Skills Training provides participants with an understanding of non-violent communication, the roles trauma and mental health play in crisis, the effects of being in crisis, and outlines the goals of crisis intervention. Participants will have an opportunity to explore personal biases and learn a three-step crisis intervention model, and tools for developing a short-term coping plan that draws on their own inner resources as well as resources available in the community.
Through interactive presentations, discussion, exploration and practice, participants will:
- Explore attitudes about people in crisis
- Shift from an At Risk paradigm to an At Promise approach
- Focus on intervention as prevention
- Sharpen skills in compassionate listening, non-violent communication, and assessment
- Learn a three-step strategy for crisis intervention
- Learn how to facilitate the development of a short-term coping plan for a person in crisis
- Have a heightened awareness of the roles mental health, trauma, and intergenerational trauma play in crisis
- Learn how to be alert to the possibility of suicide and who to refer to if suicide intervention is required
- Identify planning strategies and referral options
Participants will receive a certificate of completion after they have taken part in both days of the workshop.
If you are interested in having us present CIST at your agency or business place, please contact us at 250-753-2495, toll free at 1-877-753-2495, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Vancouver Island Crisis Society. All rights reserved. No commercial reproduction, distribution or transmission of any part or parts of this workshop or any information contained therein by any means whatsoever is permitted without the prior written permission of Vancouver Island Crisis Society.