2007-2010 BC Coroner’s Report
On Vancouver Island
- A total of 39 people died from drug overdose.
- A total of 42 people died by motor vehicle accident.
- At a minimum, 408 people died by suicide.
- Of those 408 deaths, 306 were male.
- Suicide goes unreported 5 to 25% of the time (ASIST).
- Prior to high school graduation, 70 to 80% of Canadian youth will consider suicide.
- For every suicide, there are 100 to 200 other attempts (CDC 2011).
- Over 17,400 Canadians were hospitalized for suicide (Canadian Institute for Health 2009-10).