Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Payment options: 1) credit card by phone; 2) credit card, debit card, or cheque in person at the office; or 3) via PayPal shopping cart (below)
$295.00 per person
$199.00 per student
The Vancouver Island Crisis Society is not a GST or PST registrant. Therefore, taxes are not applicable.
When shopping cart displays below, quantity ordered can be changed by typing in new value and pressing the Enter key.
ASIST is a two-day, skills-building workshop that prepares caregivers of all kinds to provide suicide first aid interventions.
Professionals, volunteers, and other helpers need to know how to help persons with thoughts of suicide in ways that increase their suicide safety. As an ASIST-trained first aid intervention caregiver, you will be better able to:
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide;
- Understand how your beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventions;
- Seek a shared understanding of the reasons for thoughts of suicide and the reasons for living;
- Review current risk and develop a plan to increase safety from suicidal behavior for an agreed amount of time;
- Follow up on all safety commitments, accessing further help as needed.
Participation in the full two days is required. Enjoy small group discussions and skills practice that are based upon adult learning principles. Please note that courses at the Crisis Society’s training site are limited to 16 participants.
Experience powerful videos on suicide intervention that will help participants look at feelings, beliefs, and attitudes about suicide in a safe, supportive environment.
Learn suicide first aid from the professional training staff of the Crisis Society. Lyndsay Wells and Karen Vandersluis are ASIST Master Trainers and, along with Registered ASIST Trainers Debbi Mahaffy and Heather Owen, are members of the Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention, and certified Crisis Workers through the American Association of Suicidology.
Filling out the registration form
You can register for the ASIST workshop by accessing one of the application forms below.
The free downloadable Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the printable PDF form.
Please note that you will not be considered as having registered until you have sent a completed registration form to the Crisis Society. You will be sent an email to confirm your participation, with directions to the training site, a week or so before the training date for the workshop.
- PRINTABLE APPLICATION FORM, which can be sent via fax or regular mail:
Download fax/mail application form (PDF).
• Fax the completed form to (250) 753-2475 or
• Mail it to the Vancouver Island Crisis Society, Box 1118, Nanaimo, BC V9R 6E7
- ONLINE APPLICATION FORM