ASIST - Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
Upcoming workshop: APRIL 14 and 15, 2015
Takes place on two consecutive days from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Workshops can be facilitated in our Training Room in Nanaimo, or at your site.
ASIST has saved and changed hundreds
of thousands of lives around the world.
ASIST is a two-day, skills-building workshop that prepares caregivers of all kinds to provide suicide first aid interventions.
Professionals, volunteers, and other helpers need to know how to help persons with thoughts of suicide in ways that increase their suicide safety. As an ASIST-trained first aid intervention caregiver, you will be better able to:
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide;
- Understand how your beliefs and attitudes can affect suicide interventions;
- Seek a shared understanding of the reasons for thoughts of suicide and the reasons for living;
- Review current risk and develop a plan to increase safety from suicidal behavior for an agreed amount of time;
- Follow up on all safety commitments, accessing further help as needed.
Participation in the full two days is required. Enjoy small group discussions and skills practice that are based upon adult learning principles. Please note that courses at the Crisis Society's training site are limited to 16 participants.
Experience powerful videos on suicide intervention that will help participants look at feelings, beliefs, and attitudes about suicide in a safe, supportive environment.
Learn suicide first aid from the professional training staff of the Crisis Society. In addition to being certified ASIST trainers, Lyndsay Wells, Karen VanderSluis, Debbi Mahaffy, and Heather Owen are members of the Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention, and certified Crisis Workers through the American Association of Suicidology.
If you are interested in having us present ASIST at your agency or business place, please contact us at 250-753-2495, toll free at 1-877-753-2495, or via email at email@example.com.
Payment options - payment must be made in advance:
- VISA or MasterCard by calling 250-753-2495 or 1-877-753-2495
- VISA or MasterCard in person at the administrative office located in Nanaimo
- Cash or cheque in person at the administrative office in Nanaimo
- Cheque via post at PO Box 1118, Nanaimo, BC V9S 1G9
(not available within 10 days of workshop presentation date)
- PayPal shopping cart (below); you do not need to be registered with PayPal to make a payment
Course Registration Policies apply to all payment methods.
The Vancouver Island Crisis Society is not a GST or PST registrant. Therefore, taxes are not applicable.
Please complete a registration form (options available below).
Filling out the registration form
You can register for the ASIST workshop by accessing one of the application forms below. The free downloadable Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the printable PDF form.
Please note that you will not be considered as having registered until you have sent a completed registration form to the Crisis Society. You will be sent an email to confirm your participation, with directions to the training site, a week or so before the training date for the workshop.